Monday, September 7, 2009

The taste is bitter sweet

This was an interesting day. I seem to be saying that a lot lately - "interesting day". I suppose in many ways it's like crying wolf. I mean honestly, just how many days can be that damn interesting?

Where do I start? How about with this: In 1983 my husband was dating a girl that he had every intention of marrying. However, he ended the relationship in order to try and make things work with his then ex wife for the sake of his son. In 1984 I arrive at Camp Pendleton and try out for the Marine Corps Mounted Color Guard. Fast forward to 1990. The DH and I meet in Okinawa, Japan. OK, so where does the interesting part of this story come in? Yesterday the old gf of my husband contacts him on Facebook. As it turns out, this gf is the same friend of mine that along with her husband was in charge of the Mounted Color Guard. Go figure. What are the odds? Talk about the six degrees of seperation.

I don't think many of you know too much about my first marriage, but it ended badly and I literally lost a huge portion of my life. Photos and other possessions I had were either thrown out or destroyed by me ex - to include all of the Color Guard photos. I have looked for years online and through the military photo labs for pictures of me on the Guard but to no avail. Thankfully, this same person (who is still married to the same man) has a bunch of old photos and she has graciously sent me a few. It's like a piece of me has been restored. I'd like to share some of those pics with you now...








I hope you all get a kick of these. I'm sure you'll be seeing more.

The second part of my interesting day revolves around the motorcycle club world and my part in it. I think my interest in bikes started as many things in my life do - I was attracted to being part of something. A motorcycle club was my goal. Although I often feel like as a retired Marine I have broken through many of the sex barriers, I find that the motorcycle club that I want so badly to be part of is off limits to me simply because I am a female. This is a hard pill for me to swallow even though as I say that I have respect for the men that make up the club and understand why it is this way. I have been fortunate enough that the Vietnam Vets and Legacy Vets of O Chapter have allowed me to "hang" around and ride with them, but I am never going to be a member or patched. The closest I will get is being what I am now - just a hang around or if my DH becomes patched. The DH is just now beginning to find out what I have known for a long time now - how special and unique this new world is and how it's more than just about riding bikes. It's about being a part of something that matters. It's about a Brotherhood. Sitting back and watching is not easy for me, but it's the only way I can be close and I have to respect that. I suppose I will live the club life vicariously through my DH.

SONG OF THE BLOG: "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. What else? LOL

No comments: